An outdoor room is a designated outdoor space, ranging from an accessorized patio or deck to a fully furnished living space and/or outdoor kitchen. An outdoor room may include any of the following items:
• Food preparation, cooking, and eating areas
• Hearth products to extend the season such as a fire pit, fireplace, or patio heater
• Products to increase ambiance such as gas lights or tiki torches
• Shelter such as an arbor or roof to shade from the sun or protect against other inclement weather
There are a number of reasons that a homeowner may choose to construct an outdoor room. Many want a place to relax, entertain, or simply spend more time outside. Others also recognize that an outdoor room can extend their home's living space and increase its resale value. Finally, many choose “stay-cations,” taking the money they might otherwise have spent on a vacation and putting it into home improvements instead.
Outdoor rooms can be built on any budget and be built one step at a time if desired. In addition to residential applications, outdoor rooms appear in small commercial settings, particularly restaurants.
III Equipment Options
A variety of gas-powered appliances are available for outdoor rooms, including grills, outdoor fireplaces or fire pits, patio heaters, gas lights, tiki torches, and pool heaters. A grill can stand alone or as part of a larger outdoor kitchen.
1. Equipment Manufacturer Database